Digital Tutors: Depth-Based Compositing in After Effects-iNKiSOType:
Tutorial, TrainingRelease Date:
After Effects CS4 and up for Project FilesRuntime:
28 min. 6 sec. (6 lessons)File Format:
166MbDigital Tutors: Depth-Based Compositing in After Effects
- In this series of lessons we'll learn how to combine depth maps to create correct layering between two renders. This allows us to split out scenes into multiple render layers while keeping the correct pixels on top.
We'll begin by taking a look at what is depth-based compositing or layering and why we would want to use it. Then we'll learn about some of the downsides of using this technique. We'll then dive in to After Effects and create a matte for our foreground layer using it's depth map and the background depth map. We'll then learn how to work with depth maps including combining maps from different scene scales, using depth-based layering to fix interpenetration issues and making depth maps human readable and error-free.
1. Introduction and Project Overview
2. What is Depth-based Compositing?
3. Basic depth compositing in After Effects
4. Dealing with different depth scales and values
5. Fixing interpenetration issues with depth compositing
6. Tone mapping and fixing incorrect depth images
PROJECT FILES INCLUDED